Thursday, June 12, 2008

Compassionate Slaughter

I recently finished Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, which I liked as much as Omnivore's Dilemma. Not surprising since they're almost the same book. For those wanting to find good local food from farms, he made a footnote about eatwild.com so I checked it out. I'd like to test the idea that food from animals raised properly taste better, and would love to buy half a cow from one of these places and have a barbecue.
But as much as I like the site and admire the farmers, I can't help but laugh at one particular blurb from Old Pine Farm in Michigan:
"We support the Humane Farming Association and are very compassionate about our animals, and particularly their slaughter."
Later today I'm going to compassionately kick the shit out of the guy stealing my mail.

No comments: