Tuesday, June 24, 2008

censorship

Vigilant re-readers of this blog may notice that we've modified some old posts and begun to censor ourselves. No one regrets this more than I.

Thousands of years ago, I was the editor of and sole contributor to a youth group newsletter. My articles centered on the sale and consumption of crack, and on the deviant sexual behaviors of our group members and advisors. One day I wrote a particularly hard-hitting article about a gunshot fetus. It probably deserved a Pulitzer, but my group's president was not ready for the truth--did not believe his constituents were entitled to it--was afraid of what real reportage would do to his reputation and career. He censored me, then, and our friendship never recovered.

We kibbitzers believe that our readers deserve the truth. Please trust that all censorship is done in the interest of maintaining our and our friends' privacy: it is not done from cowardice. Oh, no! Like W.E.B. Du Bois, we kibbitzers cry truths at an ugly and uncomprehending world; and we will call no one "friend" who will not stand and cry with us.

All modified posts include the label "censored."

No comments: