Monday, June 30, 2008

Cashier Improvement Zone

I may have to start a new blog called Idiot Cashiers and How They Tick Me Off. Here's the background. There is a window in my shower. It is no secret. And until recently it was not a big deal, because nobody really had an angle to see in, the window would only allow an outsider a waist up view, and I have a big enough ego that anyone spying on me could only be viewed as flattery. But there is yet another new building going up in our backyard (was supposed to be condos, but now may be rentals), giving the constructions workers, and soon the residents, a quite proper view into my shower. So the time has come to somehow obstruct the view, and I went to Urban Outfitters in search of a hip solution.
Now for the idiot cashier of the day. Normally I use my credit card for everything to avoid accumulating change (which accumulates on its own, like dust), but my purchase was 3.17 and it just seemed in appropriate to not use cash. I gave the cashier a 10 dollar bill and a quarter, which most sane and reasonable people in the universe will recognize as a change saving measure. The cashier gave me back 6 bucks and a load of change. I thought she had forgotten about the quarter, so I reminded her "I gave you a quarter." She said "No, you gave me a nickel." Well, that sent me through the roof. I briefly considered whether there was any chance in hell that I had a nickel in my pocket, and the answer was a resounding not in a million fucking years. But I was stuck. I asked her why in the hell I would have given her a nickel. She said she didn't know. Of course she doesn't. You'd think as a cashier she would first of all recognize what kind of currency she is given, and second, that when someone gives her some change that doesn't make a bit of sense, she should say something. Well, she said she'd have to get the manager to open the drawer back up. And despite what you may think after reading this entire post about the most trivial thing in the world, I have graduated from the time in my life when I would have pushed that issue. The new me knows that these daily stresses are best abandoned and forgotten as quickly as possible, so I just glared at her and walked away, and when the greeter wished me a pleasant day I glared at him, too. Then I wrote it all up right here so I would never forget that Urban Outfitters employs a bunch of dweebs.

1 comment:

Tugging King said...

did she put a 5 on the bag?