Sunday, July 27, 2008

Another Garment Goodbye

In my haste to depart the plane on the first leg of my recent trip, with plugged ears and in a sudafed stupor (let's pretend), I forgot on the plane my blue long sleeved Duofold synthetic shirt that has been my go-to travel garment for years. During the plane ride I remember thinking I should put it in my bag rather than drape it over the arm rest, but as is my custom in these situations, I told myself that there was no need for such precaution since of course I would remember something so simple, especially in this case when they remind you to check for personal belongings before getting off. But as is unfortunately becoming my custom, I did not remember. I have a feeling the shirt was a found item rather than something actually purchased, but I don't actually remember how or when it came into my life. Some would say it's for the best, that one should buy new clothes more than once every ten years. Well, that's a matter of opinion. But the undisputed fact is that shirt was perfect and there will not be another like it.

In memorial, two pictures: the last picture taken of me and my shirt together, late July, 2008; and the oldest photo of us that I could find among the photos I have with me in DC, probably 2001 (I had to scan it in since I didn't have a digital camera then).


No comments: