Saturday, August 2, 2008

Out with the old

I keep things. In the last year I've worn about 5% of the clothes I own. I keep bubble wrap, uniquely shaped envelopes, styrofoam blocks from packaging, the weird wine bottle holder (best guess) that the previous owner left in my condo, and boxes. Lots of boxes.
I kept all my moving boxes from last year, as well as most of the original boxes of things I've bought (shoes, cuisinart, rice cooker...). My reasoning is either that if I ever move it would be easiest to repackage these things in their original boxes, or that I'll have another use for this diversely sized collection of boxes. Yet in the 16 months since I've moved in, I have to say I can't remember ever needing any of these boxes. So this morning I cleaned my storage space of most of these boxes. The big boxes I did keep - I just couldn't help myself - but I at least broke them down (even though by slicing through the tape it meant I would have to waste yet more tape next time around). My storage unit now looks nearly empty.
My storage unit also has spiders. I'm sure they're harmless, but I have an aversion to spiders. I'm open-minded, but I don't think I could ever be friends with a spider. So as part of my cleaning I did have to squash a few spiders. But I left some others unharmed, because they weren't in my way, I didn't feel like getting into more spider muck, and I knew they'd probably just come back. Well, the dead ones probably wouldn't come back, but others like them would. I need some spider traps.

No comments: