Tuesday, February 26, 2008

La Bamba, Amen


Last Saturday night I went to a synagogue out in Bethesda and paid $10 at the door for the privilege of buying a $4 glass of wine and watching other people (not a lot) dance to what I can only assume is the latest and greatest of Israeli music. Aside from learning that there is a genre of Israeli music called mizrachi (which someone told me is Arab), the redeeming value of this event was the presence of Bamba peanut snacks. When someone mentioned this to me the name rung many pleasant bells in my head associated with my highschool trip to Israel, but I couldn't remember what the hell it was. Then I tore into a pack, and while I still didn't really remember the taste from way back when, the taste is good. Peanut butter, and very delicate. Including the bag I had that night and the bag I took for the road that I ate today, and generously valuing the night of music and dancing at $2, that means I got my Bamba for $4 a pop. It's lovely running into old friends. I would next like to reconnect with Men's Pocky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you jit to mizrachi? Was Julie Zimmerman there?